Note: See also Sassy Zucchini.
1. Squash Fritters
2 cp grated summer squash
1/4 cp onion, finely chopped
2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
6 T flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 T butter or margarine
2 T grated lemon zest
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1. Drain and pat dry grated squash.
2. Combine with next 5 ingredients.
3. Stir in beaten eggs, add margarine.
4. Drop batter by tablespoons onto greased griddle or skillet and cook till delicate brown.
5. Turn & brown other side.
2. Zucchini Pizza
Add sauteed zucchini to your favorite pizza recipe. This cook uses prepared pizza dough for the crust, an 8-oz can of tomato sauce for the sauce, and bell pepper, onions, pepperoni slices, and grated mozarella cheese for the toppings. Half the pizza is vegetarian for the cook, the other half often includes cooked hamburger or sausage for hubby.
3. Broiled or Grilled Zucchini
Note: Substitute Herbed Butter or Oil cubes for oil and herbs.
2 zucchini, cut in half and sliced lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices
1 T rosemary, thyme, or herb of choice
freshly ground black pepper
dash of salt
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 T olive oil or butter
1. Arrange zucchini slices on broiling pan or grate if grilling
2. Sautee garlic in oil till browned.
3. Add herb, pepper, and salt, then drizzle over zucchini slices.
4. Broil or grill till crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Gourmet Magazine (epicurious.com) has a recipe for whole
wheat pasta salad with grilled zucchini and olives that sounds tasty. It combines
tomatoes, onion, and grilled zuccini slices with brine-cured black olives, ricotta
"salata" or feta cheese, and chopped fresh basil. The mixture is tossed with red
wine vinegar and 1/4 cup of olive oil.