Chicken or Turkey Tetrazzini
Note: Adapted from Mom ("Ralph") Dorrington's recipe file.
8 oz spaghetti, linguine, or macaroni (about 2 cups)
3-4 T butter, margarine, or schmaltz (chicken or turkey fat)
3-4 T flour, or enough to thicken sauce
11/2 cp chicken broth
1 cp heavy cream, whipping cream, or low-fat evaporated milk
3 oz (about 1/2 cp) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
2-3 T sherry (optional)
1/8 t grated or ground nutmeg
1 t salt
2-3 cps chicken or turkey, diced
4 cps mushrooms, sliced, or the equivalent canned mushrooms
dash of white pepper
1/3-1/2 cps Parmesan cheese
toasted slivered almonds (optional)
1 T fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Cook and drain spaghetti; keep warm.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan and blend in flour.
3. Gradually add broth and cream and cook, stirring, over low heat til smooth and
4. Add cheese, sherry, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and stir till cheese melts.
5. Remove from heat and toss in pasta, chicken or turkey, and mushrooms.
6. Turn mixture into 2-qt (13" x 9") baking dish.
7. Sprinkle with almonds and Parmesan cheese and bake at around 350 degrees till golden
8. Garnish with fresh parsley.