Note: See recipes for Dipping Sauces and Mom's Dipping Sauces. Denser vegetables should be sliced thinner. I haven't tried Beer Batter for chicken and fish yet, but it may work.
1/2 lb medium shrimp, butterflied if possible
oil for deep frying
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cp cold water
1 cp flour
small eggplant, thickly sliced crosswise
large mushrooms, thickly sliced vertically
red, yellow, or green bell pepper, sliced crosswise and seeded
zucchini or other summer squash, sliced diagonally (about 1/4" thick)
sweet potatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
thick green onions, in 1" sections
tender green beans, in 2" sections
1. Prepare all vegetables and set near stove. Dipping sauces should be prepared ahead
2. Heat oil in deep frying pan (wok is ideal) to 350 degrees, then turn heat down to low.
3. Beat egg yolk and water together fill foamy, dump in flour and stir till blended but still
4. Drop shrimp and vegetables two or three pieces at a time into batter. Lift each piece with
tongs or chopsticks out of batter and let excess batter drain back into bowl.
5. After adding first pieces to the oil, turn heat to high.
6. Continue adding dipped pieces to pan without crowding.
7. Turn as necessary and cook till golden brown, about 3 minutes.
8. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.