Tomato Pepper Bisque
Note: See Roasting Peppers for method. Serve
with garlic bread. Can be prepared ahead the
day before. Source not known.
2 1/2 lbs red bell peppers
3 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 lbs tomatoes, peeled, diced
2 t sugar
2 1/2 cps beef stock or canned broth
2 bay leaves
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 T dry sherry
1 T sherry wine vinegar
1/4 t hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
1. Follow directions for Roasting Peppers and puree in processor.
2. Heat oil in heavy 4-qt sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute till tender.
3. Add tomatoes and sugar and cook till tomatoes release their juices, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in stock, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
5. Bring to boil, educe heat and simmer 30 minutes.
6. Cool slightly.
7. Discard bay leaves. Puree tomato mixture in batches in blender or food processor.
8. Return mixture to saucepan, stir in pepper puree, sherry, vinegar and Tabasco.
9. Gently simmer over low heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.