Note: Serve with Chicken or Turkey Parmegiana or Rolled Chicken Washington and serve on top of spaghetti. See also Pasta Puttanesca.
3 lbs fresh tomatoes (about 6 cups), or equivalent in canned
1/4 cp olive oil or salad oil
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 lrg onions, chpd
1-2 lrg carrots, finely chpd
1 T dry basil or 1/3 cp finely chpd fresh basil leaves
1/2 T dry oregano leaves or 3 T finely chpd fresh leaves
1 t salt
1 t pepper, or to taste
1. If using fresh tomatoes, immerse tomatoes a few at a time in boiling water to cover
2. Lift out with slotted spoon and plunge into cold water. Peel of and discard skins. Coarsely
chop. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in lrg kettle over med heat.
4. Add garlic, onions, carrots and cook, stirring occasionally till onions are translucent.
5. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
6. Bring t boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, till sauce is thick
and reduced by about 1/2 (about 1 hour)
Makes about a quart. Can be frozen for up to 4 months.
Sunset Favorite Recipes