[ Home ] [ Recipes ] [ Shirley's collected recipes ][Mom's Recipes]
1. Quinoa Black Bean & Corn Salad
Note: Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is a high-protein, non-gluten grain that contains all eight amino acids and
can be safely consumed by those allergic to wheat. This recipe is inspired by several recipes in
Moosewood Restaurant Cookbooks.
- 1/2 cp onions, chopd
- 2 garlic cloves, chpd
- 1 bell pepper, chpd
- hot chile peppers to taste, chpd
- 1 can black beans (1 1/2 cps)
- 1 pkg frozen corn or fresh (1 1/2 cps)
- diced tomatoes to taste
- 2 T fresh cilantro, chpd
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/4 cp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cp fresh squeezed lime juice
Rinse 1 cp well. Add to 2 cps water. Cover and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes
or till water is absorbed and quinoa is tender but still chewy.
Saute in 1 T oil the onions, garlic, cumin, and coriander about 10 minutes.
Stir in bell peppers, chile peppers, cilantro and saute about 4 minutes.
In large bowl, combine quinoa and sauteed veggies. Chill 15 minutes.
Stir in corn, black beans, tomatoes, and lemon and lime juice.
2.Southwestern Black Bean and Corn Salad
Note: Inspired by Sunset Living Cookbook, this recipe is a good way to
use excess fresh corn. Just blanch for 3 minutes and cut from the ear. It makes a
for the veggies:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 cps fresh corn
- 1 cp each sliced green and red bell peppers
- 1/2 cp hot peppers of choice, or to taste
- 1 cp sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 cp black olives, sliced
- 1 cp cubed Monterey Jack cheese
- salt and green pepper to taste
for the dressing:
- 1 T chile powder
- 1 t cumin, or to taste
- pinch of fresh chopped cilantro, or to taste
- 1/4 cp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 T honey
- 1 t mustard seeds
Combine vegetables first. Make the dressing and pour over salad and toss. Enjoy!