Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Note: A similar Bon Appetit recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble (June 1996) mixes almond paste, butter, and flour for the topping. This recipe has even the hard-core rhubarb haters coming back for seconds.
Source: Mary Eaves. For crisp, use 9" x 13" pan. Can be baked in 9" pie pan, but fruit ingredients should be reduced by 1/2 and topping by 1/3.
3 lbs rhubarb (10 cp diced)
1 cp water
3/4 cp honey
2 T arrowroot mixed with 2 T water
1 qt strawberries, thickly sliced
1 1/ cp rolled oats
1 1/2 cp whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cp wheat germ
1/2 t cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
1/2 cp butter, chilled
1/2 cp honey
1 t vanilla extract
1. Wash and cut rhubarb into small pieces. Simmer in water in large covered saucepan
medium heat till fruit is soft. Stir often to avoid burning.
2. Stir in honey and arrowroot/water mixture and cook just a minute more.
3. Pour rhubarb mixture into oiled baking pan or pie dish and cover with sliced berries.
4. Mix dry topping ingredients together, then cut in butter (or grate it with large sized grater).
5. Combine honey and vanilla and stir into topping mixture.
6. Spread topping over fruit and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or till crisp.