Sweet Potato Recipes
Note: Sweet potatoes are one of the best sources for beta-carotene and Vitamin A. For varations, try these ideas: * Another Martha Stewart variation: Split sweet potatoes and winter squash, cut into wedges 3/4-by-3" long. Arrange on a pan, drizzle with olive oil, melted butter and balsamic vingar,fresh rosemary. She bakes at 400 for 45-50 minutes. I may try this in the Sweet Potato Praline recipe below. * Skip praline or marshmallow toppings and serve the casserole with Pineapple-Cherry Chutney.
* Substitute 1/4 cp orange juice for the apple cider.
* Martha Stewart bakes the potatoes, then blends with low-fat cottage cheese, onions, pecans, and sage.
* Sliced Granny Smith apples can be mingled with the potato rounds.
* Cooking Light Magazine blends maple syrup and canned adobo sauce into mashed potatoes.
* Our local newspaper provided recipes from an inaugural lunch on 1/20/09 by Congress for the new President. The luncheon served mashed sweet potatoes sweetened with molasses and maple syrup and spiced with cumin.
1. Sweet Potato Praline or Marshmallow
3-5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick, or 3 - 15 oz cans sweet potatoes
1/4 cp (1/2 stick) butter, melted, or less if praline topping is used
1 cp maple syrup
1 oz Triple Sec (The orange flavor in Triple Sec is nice, but you can substitute brandy or rum)
3/4 cp apple cider
1/4 cp brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground nutmeg
marshmallows, enough to cover 1 1/2 qt baking dish, or praline topping below
1. For fresh sweet potatoes: boil slices for about 10 minutes, in enough water to cover
at least 3". Drain and cool.
2. Pour drained sweet potatoes (fresh or canned) into greased baking dish.
3. Combine butter, liquids, and spices and mix thoroughly
4. Pour mixture over potatoes.
5. Top with praline mixture or marshmallows and bake 18-20 minutes or till hot and marshmallows are slightly browned.
1/4 cp brown sugar
3 T butter, room temp.
1/3 cp pecans, finely chopped
Blend all ingredients and top sweet potato casserole before baking.
2. Birchwood Inn
Note: Served only on Thanksgiving at Birchwood Inn. Black Dog restaurant in Cape Cod mashes steamed cubes with some melted butter, chipotle powder, and lime juice.
3 pounds of sweet potatoes
3 apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup chestnuts, halved and roasted
1 stick sweet butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 Tablespoons dark rum
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon mace
1. Bake sweet potatoes at 400 degrees; cool, peel, and slice. Toss apples with
2. Butter 14 inch dish. Arrange potatoes and apples; sprinkle on chestnuts.
3. Heat butter, brown sugar, honey, rum and spices, till sugar is melted. Pour over all.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes; baste occasionally. Broil till lightly browned.
3. Dum Arvi
Source: Harrowsmith Cookbook
1 lb sweet potatoes
1/2 cp ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil
1 small onion
1/2 t ground ginger
1 t ground coriander
1/2 t garam masala
1 t salt
2 green chiles, chopped
1. Peel sweet potatoes and chop into 1" cubes. Fry in ghee and set aside.
2. Slice onion and fry in remaining ghee. Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes, till potatoes are tender.
4. Sweet Potato Chips If you are serving fish and chips or any other dish where French fries are served, consider this idea for a more healthy alternative: baked or fried sweet potato chips. Peel and cut in small, thin wedges or rounds. Foodtv has a recipe that calls for slicing lenthwise with a peeler or mandolin. Easier said than done! Their recipe also requires chilling in ice water for an hour. Fry in vegetable oil in batches, 2-3 minutes per side. Drain and keep warm. Or, bake at 350 on an oiled cookie sheet with rims till fork tender, turning once (about 15-30 minutes). Serve with a or a Seasoning.