Note: An eye-popping hors d'oeuvre for any occasion. Because the skin
on jalapenos is so shiny, it's tough to get the batter to stick. One recipe
recommends drying for 15 minutes after dipping in flour and egg and repeating
the coating process another two times. See also Batter Recipe and
Alternative to the cheese filling: crabmeat blended with minced onion and green pepper and some mayonnaise (Bon Appetit, 1992). Martha Stewart uses beer instead of milk for her batter. Serve with some of Mom ('Ralph') Dorrington's Buffalo Wing Dips or Dipping Sauces.
12 large jalapenos, slit down middle with stem intact (seeds can be scraped out if
1 cp Monterey jack cheese, shredded
4-6 oz cream cheese
4 T milk
1/2 cp flour
1 cp fine bread crumbs
pepper and other seasonings
1. Stuff jalapenos. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper.
2. In shallow bowl, mix egg and milk. Place breadcrumbs with seasonings a flat dish and flour in a separate dish.
3. Dip jalapeno in egg mixture then dip in flour. Place peppers on lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
4. Dip jalapenos in egg mixture again, then in bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet and refrigerate another 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350° during this period.
5. Place on a greased baking dish, cut side up and bake about 30 minutes, till filling is runny and crust is browned.