Caribbean Pot Pie
Note: One day, I had some cooked chicken left over from Chicken Soup and wanted to try something out of the usual pot pie box. This, a combination of Chicken Curry and Chicken-Shrimp Pot Pie, is the result. It passed the hubby taste test and is even good reheated. Use phyllo dough or your favorite pie crust recipe, or a prepared pie crust, such as Pillsbury, enough for a single crust.
Pie crust, single
1 egg white, lightly beaten with 1 t water for pie crust wash
for the sauce:
1/4 cp butter or oil
1 cp canned tomatoes, crushed or chopped
1 cp chicken soup
1/4 cp onions, finely chopped
1/2 cp green pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 t ground (or grated) nutmeg
1/2 t thyme
2 t curry powder
1-2 t Indian seasoning, cayenne pepper, or chile pepper flakes, to taste
for the filling:
1 cp cooked diced carrots
1 cp cooked peas
1 cp cooked sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cps cooked diced chicken
almonds, sliced or chopped, toasted or plain
1. Saute vegetables for sauce and add remaining ingredients. Simmer while preparing
2. Prepare vegetables and steam until crisp-tender. Wait till last minute to add peas.
3. Combine vegetables, chicken, chopped almonds, and sauce in a baking dish. Set oven temperature at 350(.
4. Form pie crust over top of mixture. Brush with egg wash.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, or till crust is golden brown.