Mom's Moussaka Romano
Note: Visit Mom's Recipes above for more good recipes.
1 lb Lasagne noodles
1 med. eggplant, peeled, sliced 3/8 " thick
For the meat mixture: 1 lb ground beef
4 cps water
2 cans [12 oz] tomato paste
1/2 cp chopped onion
1-2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 t garlic powder
1 t oregano, crushed
1 t sweet basil, crushed
For the white sauce:
1/4 cp butter
1/4 cp enriched flour
1/2 t salt
2 cps milk
For the Ricotta mixture:
1 carton [15 oz] Ricotta cheese
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 cp grated Parmesan
1. Brown ground beef; add onion and cook 5 min.
2. Add tomato paste, 2 t salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil.
3. Stir in water; simmer uncovered 1 hr.
4. Bring large pot of water slowly to a boil for lasagne.
5. In med. saucepan melt butter, add flour, 1/2 tsp. salt to make a paste.
6. Stir milk in slowly and cook, stirring constantly, until white sauce is small boil. Set aside.
7. Combine white sauce with the Ricotta mixture.
8. Cook lasagne till not quite tender, about 12 min. Rinse with cold water and drain. Pat off all excess moisture
9. Fry eggplant lightly in oil. Drain on paper towels
10. Cover bottom of 15 3/8 x 10 3/8 x 2 1/4 baking dish with 2/3 cups of the meat mixture, half of the eggplant, 1/3 of the Ricotta cheese mixture and 1/2 of the Lasagne noodles. Repeat for second layer.
11. Dot top with remaining Ricotta mixture. Ladle remaining meat mixture around dots of Ricotta mixture, swirl together with a spoon. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top.
12. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 min. Allow to set 10 min. Cut in squares and serve with remaining sauce.