Note: Commercial garlic spreads taste funny. Minced garlic on garlic bread and in Garlic Mashed Potatoes are too garlicky. Garlic bread with olive oil and garlic powder is good if you can find a high quality garlic powder.
Another alternative is homemade roasted garlic. Fresh garlic is readily available at our local farmer's markets and can keep up to 6 months under the right conditions.
The first recipe Planter tried called for baking without a cover or tin foil and the
cloves were vaporized! Moosehead Restaurant recommends baking the unpeeled heads in a
shallow pan covered with tin foil.
I finally discovered a recipe for "carmelized garlic" in Mom (Ralph) Dorrington's files that has passed the taste and ease test. No citation is available. In the first try, the skins lifted right off the heads, but the bottom was slightly browned, but not enough to make a nice smooth paste. Perhaps, lowering the temperature would eliminate the browning, but the ease of removing the pulp is worth a little browning.
6 heads fresh garlic
1/4 cp olive oil
1. Slice 1/4" from bottom or root end of garlic head. Remove as much of paper covering as possible.
2. Place heads, exposed ends down in single layer in an oven proof dish and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Roast for 20 minutes, uncovered.
4. Cover with tin foil and roast an additional 10-15 minutes.
5. If necessary, separate cloves and squeeze out the garlic. Store in air-tight container in the refrigerator.