Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
Note: Serve with Ancho Chile Dipping Sauce .
3 cps Black Eyed Peas
1/2 cp milk
1 cp flour
2 T parsley, chopped
4 scallions, sliced
1 hot chile pepper, diced
4 oz Monterey jack cheese, grated
2 t baking powder
2 t salt
3 cps vegetable shortening for deep frying
1. Mash about half the peas with a potato masher or fork until fairly smooth.
2. Add remaining peas and other ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Heat shortening in deep saucepan to 360 degrees.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture carefully into pan. Cook, turning occasionally, till golden
brown (about 2-3 minutes).
5. Drain and serve warm with dipping sauce.