Fish on Barbie
* Dense fish: tuna, mahi-mahi, salmon, mackerel, bluefish, monkfish
* Don’t remove skin of steaks: seals in flavor and moisture and helps hold shape. You can remove it before serving. Skin on fillets shrink and meat will curl. Make series of ¼” deep diagonal slash in skin before grilling.
* Use foil with perforations for thinner fish fillets.
* Sear fish quickly. Slow cooking will dry it out.
* Biggest problem in grilling fish: sticks to grill and falls apart when removed. Oil grill first and avoid moving it.
* Acidic marinades with vinegar and lemon juice breaks down fish and it becomes mushy. Marinate 15 -60 minutes with these ingredients.
* If using marinade for a sauce, boil and simmer before serving.
* For flavoring fish: Use closed-lid grill and slow heat when using soaked wood chips on heat source. NOTE: mesquite and oak burn hotter than other woods, so raise height of grill to compensate. Also, use herbs directly on heat source for flavoring.