Note: Inspired by The Whole Chile Pepper Book, this basic recipe works with
filling. One recipe combined shredded chicken with braised chard. Another used a
combination of sweet corn, black olives, and beans (pinto and black). See Fiestalada
Casserole for another approach. For a change of pace, substitute the crust below with
4 cps Red Chile Sauce
1 lb ground beef, or shredded beef or chicken (opt)
12 corn tortillas
vegetable oil for frying
1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
2 med onions, chopped
garnishes: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes
1. Saute beef till browned and drain off fat.
2. Fry tortillas, one at a time in hot oil till softened but not crisp, drain on paper towels.
3. Place small amount of sauce on bottom of casserole pan, place tortilla on top, then more
4. Add beef, 1/4 cp of cheese and some onions.
5. Repeat procedure for 2 more layers, ending with the cheese.
6. Bake 350 for 15 minutes or til cheese melts.
For the crust:
3/4 cp yellow cornmeal
1 T flour
1 T sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2/3 cp milk
1/2 cp Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
1 T vegetable oil
1. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Stir in milk and vegetable oil. Cook over medium heat till thickened, stirring constantly.
3. Stir in cheese.
4. You can sandwich the meat mixture between the crust if you like. Grease a 2 1/2 qt
shallow casserole, spread ® of crust on bottom and pour meat mixture on top. Spread
remaining crust on top.
5. Bake in 375 degree oven 30-35 minutes, or till topping is lightly browned and casserole is