Note: Chile Sauce or paste has become a standard in our refrigerator, used in sandwiches, casseroles, soups, etc. The last is this
cook's answer to a quick for enchiladas, chiles
rellenos, or other dishes requiring an Adobo-type
sauce. I double or triple all the recipes below except Enchilada Sauce for storage in the refrigerator. They are used
Add dried Cayenne, Thai, Serrano, or Piquin pepper
flakes or powder to any of the recipes to increase heat. New Mexican, Ancho (Poblano), or red bells make a milder paste or
1. Chile Paste
Adapted from The Whole Chile Pepper Cookbook, D. Dewitt, N. Gerlach; The Savory Way, Deborah Madison; Betty Crocker's
Mexican Cookbook; and, a Washington Post article. You can add warm water, white wine, or bourbon to this and use as a sauce.
1 t coriander seeds
1/2 t cumin seeds
1/2 t dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2-4 onion, chopped
5 whole Ancho (Poblano) or New Mexican (Numex) chiles,
dried or fresh roasted
1/4 cp light olive oil or sunflower seed oil (For less fat, use 1 1/2 t cornstarch mixed with 4 T water or cooking wine.)
1.Puree chiles in blender with a little of the oil
2.Pound garlic and spices in mortar till fairly well pulverized.
3. Combine chopped onions, blended chile mixture, and rest of oil or water/cornstarch
5. Season with pinch of salt.
6. If making a paste for later use, cover with thin layer of oil and refrigerate or freeze
2. Oriental Chile Paste
Note: Adapted from Secrets of Fat-Free Chinese Cooking, by Ying Chang Compestine.
1 1/2 T minced fresh or dried chile peppers
1 T minced garlic
1 1/2 t cornstarch
2 T low-sodium soy sauce
2 T cooking wine
1. Using a non-fat cooking spray, saute chile and garlic till garlic turns brown.
2. Dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce and add to pan with wine. Stir well.
3. Cool and store in refrigerator in airtight container. Stir before using.
3. Shirls' Quick and Easy Enchilada Sauce
Chiles in any form, dried or fresh, to taste.
Pinch of chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander and salt, to taste
2 cps chicken broth
1 8-oz can of tomato sauce (if using puree, dilute with more chicken broth)
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
Saute onions and garlic in butter in medium sauce pan, add remaining ingredients and
cook on low heat uncovered till right consistency (30-50 minutes).