Stuffed Chicken Breasts
1. Chicken With Spinach Stuffing
Note: Adapted from a Gourmet Magazine (1998) recipe called Grecian Chicken Breasts. The stuffed breasts could be prepared ahead of time, covered and refrigerated or wrapped and frozen until ready to bake. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator before baking.
4-6 boneless, skinless, split chicken breasts
1 T olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 lb (about) fresh spinach or one package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (original recipe calls for 8 oz)
1/4 cp low-fat mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cp all-purpose flour
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 t cayenne pepper, or to taste
Up to 12 strips bacon for those who need not worry about fat or cholesterol
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. If using fresh spinach, blanch first.
3. Squeeze liquid from thawed or blanched spinach and place, uncooked, in bowl.
4. Add cheese,mayonnaise and garlic and stir to combine.
5. Spoon into pockets in chicken, dividing evenly.
6. Place flour on plate and stir in paprika. Lightly coat stuffed chicken breasts.
7. Wrap 2strips bacon around each breast and secure with wooden toothpicks. Place on rack in baking pan and bake, uncovered, in preheated oven 1 hour or until chicken is no
longer pink inside. Remove toothpicks before serving.
2. Breast of Chicken with cornbread stuffing in orange rhubarb sauce
For the stuffing:
1 cp water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 stick unsalted butter
1 lb cornbread crumbs
2 cps bacon bits, cooked
2 T herbs de Provence
1. Bring water, bouillon cube, and butter to a boil.
2. Stir hot liquid into a bowl with cornbread crumbs, bacon bits, and herbs de Provence.
3. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
For the sauce:
2 cps rhubarb, diced
1 orange, sliced and seeded
1 cp sugar
2 cps white wine
2 cps water
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer till orange slices become soft.
2. Puree in blender till smooth.
3. Set aside.
For the entree:
8 8-oz boneless chicken breasts with skin
paprika to taste
garlic powder to taste
chopped parsley to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly pound chicken breasts, leaving skin on.
2. Divide stuffing among chicken breasts and stuff.
3. Place in baking pan and season with spices and herbs.
4. Roast in 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or till cooked.
5. Glaze chicken with rhubarb sauce and serve.
Cooking in the Shaker Spirit, James Haller with Jeffrey Paige, 1990