1. Bavarian Red Cabbage
Note: A modified version of Bavarian cabbage, combining recipes in Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and Family Circle Vegetable and Meatless Cookbook. Serve with kielbasa* or bratwurst ** and some pumpernickle bread with horseradish and Dijon mustard.
2. Sauteed or Fried Cabbage
Note: Two variations on a theme. Savoy refers to a crinkled texture found in cabbage
specialty greens (e.g., Tatsoi).
2 T clarified butter
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 t caraway seeds
1/4-1/2 large savoy cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat the clarified butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and
fragrant, about 30 to 45 seconds. Add the caraway seeds and toast lightly, stirring
constantly until aromatic, about 30 to 45 seconds.
2. Add the cabbage and reduce heat to medium-low. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until
soft and golden, about 10 to 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings, and serve immediately.
1 head red or green cabbage, coarsely chopped
6 slices bacon
1 small onion, sliced thin
1 « t sugar
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1/4 cp water
hot pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon till crisp. Drain on paper towels and save « of the fat.
2. Add cabbage, onion, sugar, salt and paper, and the bacon crumbled.
3. Stir to coat evenly, then add water.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook about 20 minutes til cabbage is tender,
5. If liquid remains, cook down till syrupy.
3. Sausage with Cabbage/Apples
6-8 pork sausage links
3 lrg apples, cored and cut into wedges
3-4 (about 1 lb) kielbasa sausage
1 pkg miniature smokey sausage links
3-4 knackwurst sausages (about 1 lb)
1 head cabbage
prepared mustard and horseradish
Pour water into pan to depth of about .25". Bring to boil over high heat.
Add pork sausage links; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 min. Drain and discard liquid. Continue cooking, uncovered, over medium-low heat til partially browned.
Add apple wedges and cook til fruit is browned and fork-tender (about 5 min). Remove from heat and keep warm.
Fill 6-8 qt kettle half full with water. Bring to boil over high heat. Add kielbasa, smokey sausage links, and knackwurst; cover and return to boil.
Add cabbage wedges, pushing down into liquid. Bring to boil again and cook, uncovered, for 2-3 min. Lift out cabbage and sausages and drain well.
Arrange cabbage, all sausages, and apples in serving container. Accompany with mustard and horseradish.
Sunset Favorite Recipes