Mexican Hot Burritos
Note: Our favorite Mexican restaurant, TexMex Cafe
(Dale City VA) was started by Donna Dixon's (wife of Dan Akroyd) parents. In
our lifetime of Mexican restaurant experiences -- covering New Mexico, California,
Arizona, and Virginia, this dish is truly unique. I have attempted to recreate
it, with help from The Chili Cookbook by Norman Kolpas. Omit
ground beef and use only beans for a meatless version.
For the burritos:
4 large (burrito sized) flour tortillas
3 cps ground meat and/or beans or frijoles, cooked
6 oz Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 ½ cps)
6 oz Monterey jack cheese, shredded
For the garnish:
6 T sour cream
16 pitted olives, thinly sliced (opt)
tomatoes, chopped if available
For the sauce:
5 dried Anaheim (now called New Mexican) chiles, or other hotter peppers for more heat, rehydrated in enough boiling hot water to cover
2 med garlic cloves, peeled
1 med onion, chopped
1 cps beef or chicken broth
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cp dried tomatoes, rehydrated in enough hot water to cover
1-2 T chile powder
1 t oregano
1/2 t ground cumin
1. Saute 1/2 onions in pan, add ground beef, and chop up. Cook till done.
2. Blend garlic, broth, dried tomatoes and peppers with liquid, and spices till chiles are pureed.
3. Transfer to pan, add tomato sauce, and keep warm till ready for use.
4. Warm a heavy skillet over medium heat. One at a time, warm tortillas, about 30 seconds per side.
6. Place tortillas on a work surface and spoon beans and/or ground meat, spreading evenly in center of each tortilla
7. Sprinkle half of cheese and remaining onions over mixture.
8. Fold in 2 sides of each tortilla about 2". Fold bottom of tortilla over filling, then roll tortilla to form a cylinder. If tortillas are thicker fajita style, or they are less than 8-10", just fold them in half. Otherwise, the folds of the tortilla mask the flavor of the filling.
9. Spoon several tablespoons of sauce on bottom of a broilerproof serving plate or 2-qt. baking dish. Place burritos on top and add enough sauce to cover, reserving some for individual servings. Top with remaining cheese.
10. Bake at 350 degrees till cheese melts.