Cranberry Nut Bread
Note: Try blending all-purpose flour with whole-grain flour, as Joy of Cooking recipe does. It still makes a nice fluffy bread. This cook is a cranberry nut, but they are the least nutritious of other fruits like raisins, apricots, or prunes. Next time, the editor will add some dried raisins and apricots.
1 cp cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cp nuts, chopped
1 T grated orange peel
3/4 cp orange juice
1 egg, well beaten
2 cps flour
1 cp sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 T shortening
1. Grease and lightly flour a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan.
2. Mix chopped cranberries and nuts and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients and cut in shortening.
4. Stir in orange juice, egg, and orange peel, mixing just to moisten.
5. Fold in cranberries and nuts and spoon into prepared pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or till wooden toothpick in center comes out clean.
7. Cool 15 minutes, remove from pan, and wrap for storage.
Ocean Spray Cranberry package