Black-Eyed Pea Bread
Note: This is from incomplete notes taken at the 1997 Smithsonian Folk Festival. The
represented a company called Mississippi Madness. The sequence of preparation is guesswork!
1 lb. sausage
14 oz. grits meal or corn meal
1 cp buttermilk
1/2 cp vegetable oil
3/4 cp creamed corn
2 cps black-eyed peas, cooked or canned
8 oz cheese, softened
greased 9 x 14 pan
1. Cook sausage.
2. Add pepper and onions and saute till soft.
3. Beat eggs, add buttermilk and softened cream cheese. Blend thoroughly.
4. In large bowl, combine black-eyed peas and creamed corn .
5. Add egg mixture to peas and corn and mix.
6. Add sausage mixture.
7. Pour into greased baking dish and bake at 350 or 375 degrees, till bread comes clean on a