Beverages for a wintry day
1) Hot Buttered Rum/Cider
Note: This one was a hit at Christmas Dinner! Another combination of recipes and some
adjustments. The ratio of rum (one recipe used brandy) to cider is a tough call, because this is so good your guests won't want to stop at one drink. One recipe (using brandy) calls for 1/4 to 1/3 cp liquor per quart. Another calls for 2-3 ozs for a 12-oz mug. Here's our compromise.
1 qt apple cider (unpasteurized is OK)
4-6 cloves, or to taste
juice from 1/2 lemon; slice thinly other half
2-4 cinnamon sticks, or to taste
1. Place spices in a spice bag and heat cider, lemon juice, and spices
2. Serve cider mixture in a crock pot or over warming plate, with a bottle of rum, an ounce
jigger, and pats of butter next to the beverage. They can make their own with or without
liquor (2-3 oz per 12 oz glass is pushing it). Now that's accountability!
2) Spicy hot chocolate
1/3 cp sugar
1/3 cp unsweetened cocoa powder
4 inches stick cinnamon
4 whole cloves
1 t finely shredded orange peel
4 cps milk
1. In saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, and dash salt; add
2. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Stir in milk; heat almost to boiling but DO NOT boil.
3. Remove spices; beat with rotary beater.