Moroccan Style Beef Pot Roast
Note: This can be cooked in a crock pot or in the oven. The recipe calls for serving with couscous; I use noodles. Serve with Morrocan sauce or butter.
13-4 lb boneless lean beef pot roast
7-8 parsnips (sweet potatoes cut in cubes work well as a substitute)
1 med onion
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t turmeric
1/4 t ground cumin
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
1/2 cp red wine
1 cp beef bouillon
1. In small bowl, combine ginger, turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
2. Rub into both sides of roast. Let stand while preparing vegetables or refrigerate
till ready to cook.
3. Slice onion; place on bottom of 4- or 5-qt slow cooker.
4. Peel parsnips and cut into 2" lengths.
5. Place spiced beef on onion and top with parsnips. Add liquids.
6. Cover and cook in crock pot on low 7-8 hrs or till roast is tender. Or, bake in 350 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours or till meat is tender. Add sweet potatoes or parsnips last 30 minutes of cooking.
7. Serve with couscous or noodles and top with Morrocan Meat Sauce
Healthy Crockery Cookery, Mable Hoffman