Hungarian Gulyas (Goulash)
Note: If you like it spicy, add some ground cayenne pepper, since Hungarian pepper is not that hot. Serve over noodles.
2 lb of your favorite stewing beef, cut into 1" cubes (round steak is good)
1/4 cp butter, vegetable oil or bacon drippings
1 1/2 cp onions, chopped
1 cp boiling beef stock, tomato juice, or rehydrated
1 green pepper, diced
1 t salt
1 t to 1 T Hungarian paprika
1. Melt butter, grease. or oil in heavy saucepan.
2. Brown beef cubes on all sides.
3. Add onions and saute till transparent.
4. Add liquids, spices and green pepper.
5. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Add more liquid if necessary, since gravy is essential for this dish.