Beef Fillet in Chipotle Sauce
Note: This recipe is based on one in The Whole Chile Pepper Book, Dave DeWitt and Nancy Gerlach. I make my own adobo sauce. Chipotles are smoke-dried jalapanos, often canned in a tomato-based sauce. If dried chipotles are not available, use ground. This sauce should be considered for use on any cut of meat or poultry.
1. Slowly heat dried peppers in butter till softened.
2. Add onions and garlic and saute till browned.
3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer till reduced by half.
4. Place in blender and puree. The recipe calls for straining but we prefer chunky. Keep sauce warm.
5. Saute beef on grilled skillet with some freshly ground pepper. Slice into strips.
6. Pour sauce on plates, arrange beef strips on top of sauce.