Kale au Gratin
Note: Kale is one of the more nutritious greens, so this cook is always looking for ways to cook it besides steaming with herbal vinegar.
1 cp unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
3 lbs fresh kale, washed, stems removed
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cp rice
1 T chopped fresh thyme or 1 t dried thyme
1/4 t grated nutmeg
1/4 t salt
freshly ground pepper
1/4 cp fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cp part-skim ricotta
5 T freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 T virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Pour stock into small saucepan, add onion, and bring to boil. Add rice and thyme, reduce
heat to medium low and cover till rice is tender (about 15-20 minutes).
3. Cook kale, uncovered, using enough water to cook without burning on a medium setting. Kale requires more water and a longer cooking time than more tender greens, so about 1/2 cup should be enough. Monitor closely.
4. Drain kale and coarsely chop.
5. Combine kale with rice, ricotta, 4 T of Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and salt and pepper.
6. Place ingredients in lightly oiled 1 1/2 qt gratin dish.
7. Sprinkle on bread crumbs, remaining Parmesan, olive oil.
8. Bake about 30 minutes, till juices begin bubbling.
9. Place under broiler and broil till brown, about 5 minutes.