[ Planter ] [Cobwebs] [Cobwebs Archive]

Phenol

Credit:  U.S.E.P.A. Great Lakes Region 5, Virtual Household Ecology 
Phenol, also known as carbolic acid, is flammable, corrosive, and very toxic. 
Phenolic compounds have a distinct odor and are used in disinfectants, 
deodorizers, paints, and as anesthetic for skin. 
Ingestion of even small amounts may cause vomiting, circulatory collapse, 
paralysis, convulsions, and coma. Light sensitivity and sinus congestion are 
common with exposure to fluids or vapors. Fatal poisoning can occur through skin 
absorption. 
Phenol and related compounds rapidly denature all proteins they come 
in contact with, including skin. Severe burns may occur upon contact. A 
concentration of 1% phenol, used to prevent itching from insect bites and 
sunburn, applied over several hours, was reported to cause gangrene in one 
individual. Skin ulcerations, skin rashes, swelling, pimples, and hives have 
been widely reported. 
The anesthetic properties of phenols can allow extensive 
damage to skin tissue before pain is perceived. Although there have been many 
poisonings from phenolic solutions, phenol continues to be used in consumer 
products. 
 
Go to Center for Disease Control and look in their 'Data and Statistics' section
for the HazDat database to find your favorite toxic brew.